Summer Work Travel Program

Summer Work Travel Program

College and University students enrolled full time and pursuing studies at post-secondary accredited academic institutions located outside the United States come to the United States to share their culture and ideas with people of the United States through temporary work and travel opportunities.


Summer Work Travel Students must be:

Sufficiently proficient in English to successfully interact in an English speaking environment;
Post-secondary school students enrolled in and actively pursuing a degree or other full-time course of study at an accredited classroom based, post-secondary educational institution outside the United States;
Have successfully completed at least one semester or equivalent of post-secondary academic study; and
Pre-placed in a job prior to entry unless from a visa waiver country.


The Summer Work Travel program provides foreign students with an opportunity to live and work in the United States during their summer vacation from college or university to experience and to be exposed to the people and way of life in the United States.

More information
Readmittance, Program Length, and Returning Home

Readmittance: Participants can be admitted to the program more than once;
Program Length: The maximum length of the program is four months; and
Returning Home: Students must return to their home country prior to the start date of their university or college.

Education Unite States Department of State♦Click

J-1 VISA Summer Work Travel♦Click